Friday, May 7, 2010

SO MANY BOOKS, SO LITTLE TIME



"GIRL READING AT A SUNLIT WINDOW"
By Carl Vilhelm Holsoe

Way back on the first day of January 2010 I posted what I thought was an ambitious reading list of 20 books to be read in the first few months of the new year. As it turned out, I actually read 16 of the books! Needless to say, I am very proud of myself. Of the remaining four, "The Winter Ghosts" by Kate Mosse is still not available in the United States. (I will keep looking for it, as I loved her "Labyrinthe" and "Sepulchre".)

Regarding the other three books, I had determined that I was only going to read the ones found at a discount at at thrift shops, consignment shops, used bookstores and the like, or were available at my local library. Although the Bismarck Public Municipal Library has other Sherman Alexie books, they don't have the one on my list. To their shame, it would seem, they do not have "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie". They also did not have "Winter House" by Nicci Gerard.

Here is my original list:

1. "The Elegance Of The Hedgehog" by Muriel Barbery.

2. "Olive Kitteridge: Fiction" by Elizabeth Strout.
3. "Her Fearful Symmetry" by Audrey Niffeneger.
4. "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson.
5. "The Sweetness At The Bottom Of The Pie" by Alan Bradley.
6. Testament" by Alis Hawkins.
7. "The Winter Ghosts" by Kate Mosse.
8. "South of Broad" by Pat Conroy
9. "Half-Broke Horses: A True Life Novel" by Jeannette Walls.
10. "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" by Muriel Sparks.
11. "Remarkable Creatures" by Tracy Chevalier.
12. "The Absolutely True Diary of A Part-time Indian" by Sherman Alexie.
13. "Howards End Is On The Landing" by Susan Hill.
14. "The Blue Tattoo" by Margaret Mifflin.
15. "The Zookeeper's Wife" by Diane Ackerman.
16. "People Of The Book" by Geraldine Brooks
17. "The Winter House" by Nicci Gerrard
18. "The Swan Thieves" by Elizabeth Kostova
19. "Travels With Charlie" by John Steinbeck
20. "The Road" by Cormack McCarthy

Actually, have I read many more books than those 16. In fact, I am very proud of myself that I have been reading at a terrific pace and will definitely (barring unforseen circumstances) read over 100 books this year. So far, I have read 53. (A direct result of having been unemployed the first four months of the year.) And I have posted reviews of all but three of them, with the other reviews coming shortly!)

I was figuratively strutting around like a peacock at how many books I have read this year until I read about a British blogger who (claims she) has read 375 books this year so far!!

1 comment:

mary said...

I read about that one, too - but don't you think there must be something wrong with the rest of your life (ie you don't have a life) to be reading as much as that? 100 a year sounds fine to me ...